Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Story of My Ring...


You may or may not know that Nick asked for my help picking out my engagement ring.   He wanted to make sure I loved it.  Anyway, I thought I would share the story of when we went ring shopping with you all, well, because its funny.

It was a chilly Wednesday night in early January.  I was taking a bath, like I do almost every night in the winter.  Nick came in, sat on the toilet, and asked me if I would go ring shopping with him.  I think I said something like 'of course', while inside I was super excited.   So I tried to play it cool and waited a whole week before making a plan to go shopping.  I spent the week looking at rings online.  Who am I kidding, I'd been looking for ages.  So, I knew exactly where I wanted to go, Ive heard the commercials on the radio since I was a kid.  "The Shane Company, one half mile east of I-25 on Emporia Street, " Sorry, that makes sense if you live in Denver.  Anyway, shopping day rolled around and I thought it would be a good idea to take Nick to get a drink or two before we went, you know to calm him down a bit.  So after a pitcher of beer and something called a tackle box, we drove across the street to the jewelry store.                                                                            

We walked into The Shane Co and this very sweet lady, Carol, asks if she can help us.  I froze.  Yup, froze, I stopped walking and no words came out of my mouth.  I sure wasn't expecting that to happen.  Nick poked his head out from behind me and said 'We're here to look at engagement rings.'  I think I smiled, and the lady led us to the counter, and asked if I had something in mind.  I opened my purse and pulled out a printout of what I liked.  She was excited that I knew what I wanted to look at first, since they have like 800 settings.  It took me 10 minutes to start talking, I think I had the setting on my hand when she asked what our budget was for the diamond, before I said a word.  The top picture is the first picture I took of my ring, I wish I had dainty fingers so it would have fit from the beginning.
I think I tried on one other setting, it was plain, with no diamonds, and Nick turned his nose up.  So this was it, I knew it, and now he knew it.  I tried on the band, and boy oh boy was it a lot of bling.  It was way more than I ever thought I would want.  Here it is with the band, that same night.

After admiring the ring for a few minutes, Carol handed me one more band to try on, so there would be one on both sides of my engagement ring.  I wasn't so sure it was something I wanted.  As soon as I put it on, Nick's eye's got big and he started nodding like a little kid.  He really liked it with both bands.  We decided because of price that maybe the second band could be a first anniversary gift.  He agreed. 

So that's the story of my ring, and how it came to be.  I'll tell the story of the proposal another time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment